  From: Cathy Boyko=20
  To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org=20
  Sent: Friday, February 07, 2003 5:28 PM
  Subject: OT RANT: Paypal is easy???

  Okay, sorry to vent, but maybe you can offer me some insight here. I =
set up an
  account with paypal in the summer on my Amex card - I NEVER use this =
card. So
  I accidentally used it once to buy some gas ($21) and then ended up =
paying it
  late (by a few days). They suspend my card, which I can understand. =
Long story
  short, I call to check on the status after making the full payment of =
$21.33,
  and they tell me, no, my account is suspended until I pay another .33 =
in
  interest. Fine.=20

  Off I go to town, pay the .33, and then try to use my paypal. WRONG. =
Oh, my
  Amex account is in fine shape, according to two different Amex folks =
and that
  was confirmed by the nice person from Paypal. And there is no problem =
with the
  seller either. The "transaction"  had a "high risk profile", so got =
bounced by
  their software. ?????? So it's okay on my end, okay on the seller's =
end, but
  somewhere in Cyberspace (aka "the transaction") there is a huge =
inherent
  risk?? I'm SO confused. But I really had nothing else to do tonight.=20

  I can understand there needs to software that prevents fraud and all =
that. But
  what on earth could be even vaguely fraudulent about a simple transfer =
of
  money from an approved buyer to an approved seller?  (on a side note, =
Amex has
  really awful "waiting music" compared to Paypal)

  And the real kick in the teeth? Paypal has an exchange rate of $1.95 =
for USD.
  Last I saw in the paper was $1.56, 20% profit may be a wee bit greedy.
  (reminds me of a Curt Cobain song...first word rhymes with "ape")

  So I'm back to snail mail for payment after all. I set up the Paypal =
account
  to make exactly this sort of purchase easy.

  Did I mention what car I was buying stuff for?

  Cathy, still having a headache.

------=_NextPart_000_024E_01C2CF2A.80E347F0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The more sophisticated our world =
becomes, the more=20
complex our lives, the more chance for utter frustration. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The internet is a large source of =
wonder and of=20
frustration.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Larry ("what's a telly-phone and why =
would=20
I&nbsp;need one?")</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>sandiego16v</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A href=3D"mailto:losinit@usa.net"; title=3Dlosinit@usa.net>Cathy =
Boyko</A> </DIV>
  href=3D"mailto:scirocco-l@scirocco.org"=20
  title=3Dscirocco-l@scirocco.org>scirocco-l@scirocco.org</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Friday, February 07, 2003 =
5:28=20
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> OT RANT: Paypal is =
easy???</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>Okay, sorry to vent, but maybe you can offer me some =
insight=20
  here. I set up an<BR>account with paypal in the summer on my Amex card =
- I=20
  NEVER use this card. So<BR>I accidentally used it once to buy some gas =
($21)=20
  and then ended up paying it<BR>late (by a few days). They suspend my =
card,=20
  which I can understand. Long story<BR>short, I call to check on the =
status=20
  after making the full payment of $21.33,<BR>and they tell me, no, my =
account=20
  is suspended until I pay another .33 in<BR>interest. Fine. <BR><BR>Off =
I go to=20
  town, pay the .33, and then try to use my paypal. WRONG. Oh, =
my<BR>Amex=20
  account is in fine shape, according to two different Amex folks and=20
  that<BR>was confirmed by the nice person from Paypal. And there is no =
problem=20
  with the<BR>seller either. The "transaction"&nbsp; had a "high risk =
profile",=20
  so got bounced by<BR>their software. ?????? So it's okay on my end, =
okay on=20
  the seller's end, but<BR>somewhere in Cyberspace (aka "the =
transaction") there=20
  is a huge inherent<BR>risk?? I'm SO confused. But I really had nothing =
else to=20
  do tonight. <BR><BR>I can understand there needs to software that =
prevents=20
  fraud and all that. But<BR>what on earth could be even vaguely =
fraudulent=20
  about a simple transfer of<BR>money from an approved buyer to an =
approved=20
  seller?&nbsp; (on a side note, Amex has<BR>really awful "waiting =
music"=20
  compared to Paypal)<BR><BR>And the real kick in the teeth? Paypal has =
an=20
  exchange rate of $1.95 for USD.<BR>Last I saw in the paper was $1.56, =
20%=20
  profit may be a wee bit greedy.<BR>(reminds me of a Curt Cobain =
song...first=20
  word rhymes with "ape")<BR><BR>So I'm back to snail mail for payment =
after=20
  all. I set up the Paypal account<BR>to make exactly this sort of =
purchase=20
  easy.<BR><BR>Did I mention what car I was buying stuff =
for?<BR><BR>Cathy,=20
  still having a=20
  =
cirocco-l=20
  mailing list<BR><A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:Scirocco-l@scirocco.org";>Scirocco-l@scirocco.org</A><BR><A=
=20
  =
href=3D"http://neubayern.net/mailman/listinfo/scirocco-l";>http://neubayer=
n.net/mailman/listinfo/scirocco-l</A><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_024E_01C2CF2A.80E347F0--