Tow bars - any good?

As of late, I have needed to move a lot of dead, or otherwise not
self-motivated (in one way or another) Roccos and other VW's.  I have access
to a truck, but not a trailer/dolly.  While searching for tow dollies on
ebay, I came across this style of tow bar and wondered if anyone has had any
experience with them.  Do they hook into the steering somehow, or do the
front wheels naturally follow the path when being pulled?  Do they just
mount onto the bumper?  I'll probably get one if they're OK.  They're a LOT
cheaper!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2306119209&category=11704

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2401953269&category=6763

TIA,