Tow bars - any good?

> As of late, I have needed to move a lot of dead, or otherwise not
> self-motivated (in one way or another) Roccos and other VW's.  I have
access
> to a truck, but not a trailer/dolly.  While searching for tow dollies on
> ebay, I came across this style of tow bar and wondered if anyone has had
any
> experience with them.  Do they hook into the steering somehow, or do the
> front wheels naturally follow the path when being pulled?

I have towed a few cars with my towbar now and the bar is adapted to fit A1
VWs where the bumper mounts so someone modified the towbar and installed a
set of old bumper brackets.  So to tow something all I have to do is unbolt
the front bumper and bolt on the towbar.  As far as the steering is
concerned I have had absolutely no problems with towing but I did loan the
bar to someone who tried it on their motor home and it wouldn't work right.
I tow stuff with my Rabbit Pickup so the ride heights are similar so that
may be the key.

> Do they just
> mount onto the bumper?

As stated above, mine is modified and works great but the first one you have
listed here (on ebay) is one that would mount to the bumper then you can
take the towbar off via pins and stow in it the back or something.  This is
what you see a lot of RVers using.  The second one looks more useful since
it is so adjustable and heavy duty but I am not sure how it mounts.

HTH!!

Dave

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2306119209&category=11704

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2401953269&cat