cups v. coilovers?

The 16V cylinder head is heavier than an 8V head (guess I'll have to
measure tonight) and ALL of the additional weight is on the front of the
head. The intake manifold is heavier and its weight is all forward of
the head instead of all behind the head. Alternator weight is moved
forward compared to the 8V.
The point is the 16V IS heavier and all the additional weight is all
further forward. That's why a 16V front spring will be stiffer than an
8V for a comparable application.
VW made the OE 16V springs stiffer. They didn't need to cause in the
quantities they were having made there is zip difference in cost. They
did it to maintain the handling and ride balance they thought was
optimum.
The fact that you've swapped springs out of the intended application
means only that they will fit. It doesn't mean they will provide the
optimum ride and handling balance.
Dan