shift points for older engines (story-OT-long)

kinda long story, scirocco-performance related content at the end:

All this talk about high revving reminds me of a fun story I have.  I was
actually escaping an entire township of cops.  For real!!  Most of you have
never heard of Chilliwack, BC.  It used to have a huge military training
base which the local economy essentially revolved around.  Well, cutbacks
closed the base down 10 years or so ago.   They turned the base into, guess
what, an RCMP (cops) training facility.  noooooo!

Ever try to cruise around your town when cops-in-training are around every
corner?  Things got really vicious; They were hiding around corners, pegging
people in construction zones. For the next few years things got way out of
hand.  The bastards singled me out, really baddly.  $4000 in fines, fees,
and points later, Id had enough.  Time to move!  Now I didn't have my
liscence anymore and all the cops knew my car really well and would
defenately pull me over if I drove. There was a lot going on, needless to
say I needed to get out of that town!

So I creeped out of my driveway at 4 AM, and headed towards the highway.
Within a few street blocks I saw a cop, and he saw me, but didn't follow.  I
saw another - he waited then followed. He was following from really far, but
there were no other cars out so I kept track of him.  Geez my heart was
pounding 500bpm.  If I were to get caught, they'd put the car in the impound
(again) and I'd be stuck here. NOO!  I shut my lights off and dashed up and
down a couple streets following a short cut to the highway.  Once there -
lights on and let her rip!  I swear I never let that needle down below 5000
rpms.

The highway I had to drive is the Coquihalla highway:
<http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/bchighwaycam/WebCam.asp?img=1> Didn't look that bad
tough.  Mostly dry that night - and I had driven the road about 10 times in
the last few months.  It was so bare!  I don't think I even remember seeing
another car!

I ripped it up that night.  I kept 150 km/hr up all the hills and saw 200 on
the way down.   It turned the usual 4 hours into 2, and turned my fears of
the chilliwack cops into juicy adrenaline fun.  My scirocco sang that day
and what a beautiful song it was.  That aged 1.7L with all of its 70 or so
hp, amazing isn't it?  It's been leaking oil from everywhere for 10 years,
yet every day it runs better than the previous one!

Thanks wolfsberg!

Vince