Stripped bolt - how screwed am I?

Brad,

Not sure exactly which bolt you're talking about since I think there are
at least two different versions of the 16v a/c bracket.. but I'm guessing
its the single bolt that runs along the passenger side->driver side axis,
going through the bracket and the block. By that I mean it goes in to the
same side of the block that the timing belt is on. Am I thinking of the
right bolt?

For a hex head bolt you have a number of options:
- try a 6 point socket instead of a 12 point socket
- try an impact socket (may fit a little tighter)
- try to hammer on a smaller (or SAE) socket
- try to hammer on a torx or other socket
- attempt to remove the bolt with vice grips
- use a dremel to cut down each of the six sides of the hex head a little
  until a smaller socket will fit over it.
- grind down two sides only and put an open wrench on it.

If the bolt goes through a thick bracket, you might have luck just
cutting the head off, removing the bracket and then turning it out with
vice grips or a stud remover. Once the tension is gone, unless there is
corrosion or something else holding the bolt in place, it shouldn't be too
difficult to turn out.

Some people have suggested using a chisel and a hammer to break the bolt
loose, although I'm not sure I completely understand this technique. Are
you supposed to place the chisel tangentially around the circumference of
the bolt head, or 'normal' to the circumference, or head-on as if
tapping in the bolt like a nail?

-Toby