From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of Dan Smith
Sent: Friday, December 19, 2003 12:41 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: OT: Beemer beyond help?

Yeah, the mechanic seemed questionable to me at best. It was dino oil sadly.
Sounds like good advice though, thanks! Certainly can't hurt to try, it
won't cost much and the worst that can happen is nothing. Maybe, along with
a garage, I can get my housemate to go half on an engine lift too. :) Sounds
like this could be a really fun project, if the avg daily temp wasn't 5-10F
out. I need to find a state that has the warmth and ski mountains of Cali,
minus the high taxes and super restrictive emissions policies.

Dan

Kent McLean wrote:
Dan Smith wrote:
> So you can get the old oil out? ... the mechanic who looked
> it over said it had turned into goo.

I don't know. My feeling is that the mechanic, having to
put his reputation on the line, might not want to take a
chance on flushing the engine and it not working. But the
owner, pressed for cash, might be willing to give it a try.

If the oil was dino oil, it could have coked. I'd drop the
oil pan and clean whatever I can see with some cleaner
(brake cleaner? gasoline? motor flush in a squirt can?
other suggestions?) and a brush. Once the head is
cleaned up (valve job? at least mill the head flat), put it
all back together, start it up, and run some more engine
flush or a can of Marvel Mystery Oil in it. Then change
the oil and filter, and change the oil and filter again in
another 500 miles.

That's what I'd do if I wanted to try to save some money.
That said, try it at your own risk.

Kent