MkIII Door Handles on MK1

Hows it going,

   I ordered me some mkIII style handles, and although they barely fit in,
they don't work for me.  It doesn't interfere with my window going down..
but when i don't have it screwed in there, it'll be able to unlatch the
door, but i can't unlock or lock.  When it is screwed into the door, you
have to close it a couple of times, because it won't latch.  I gather from
this, that its hitting the lever, and not letting it close.  Does anyone
here know how to get these to work on a mk1?

Thanks,

Bryan