Downpipe/Manifold Exhaust leak?

Hi,
I'm new to the list. I apologize in advance if this is a redundant question.

I have a 1986 16v scirocco and there is a leak in the downpipe. I can't see where it is coming from, but I can feel the exhaust leak at a flange point between the exhaust manifold and the downpipe. Its not at the gasket, its in the 'shock thingy' that absorbs the twist of the engine. I'm guessing the downpipe fits in this shockabsorber and a gasket of some sort needs replacing. Since I cant get a good look at it and have never seen one before, I am only guessing.

Is this common and a DYI fix? Do I need a complete downpipe or is there a gasket in there that needs replacing?

Thanks!
Jim