New ? (was: retrofitting 16v front brakes onto mk1)

At 11:49 AM 12/16/2003 -0800, Jeff Toomasson wrote:
>Can anyone confirm off-hand if the hard brake lines in an 80/81 (outside
>cabin) follow the same path as a late A1 (> '84.5)?
>
>Thanks!  Jeff

Jeff.
You can use all the Mk1 hard brake lines.
You will need to either extend or slightly stretch and tightly bend one of
the rear brake lines to work with the new MC and prop valves.
Mike Potter sells everything you need to extend that line, the other three
will need to be bent but will reach.
The 81 MC has the lines going out like a pancake motor (porsche/subaru) but
the 16V MC has the lines going out like a V8 motor (good analogy no?).

The manual rear cables are an easy swap (you should do it right and buy NEW
16V cables of course).
When you pull the rear axle make sure you get all the clips and such that
hold the e-brake cable to both the axle and the body otherwise she'll be a
floppin' around.
Good time to install poly's as well.

Like mentioned before you really only need the front calipers/carriers
(inspect for grooves where the pad sits in the carrier...this is bad) and
be sure to take all the fasteners You are of course going to buy new rotors
and pads right...right?
The rest of the setup you can use from the 81 unless you want to upgrade to
the larger axles and 16V or Neuspeed swaybar.
Don't bother with the control arms, just get new ones and new balljoints
from Mike Potter...this way they will be straight and solid.
Oh...and again, don't forget the poly's.

You can use a Corrado G-60 MC or a 16V unit (I forgot, someone on the list
will be able to tell you the difference, I went with the 16V unit)...you
can even use a Porsche 944Turbo (25mm) unit if you like (Ruben runs one of
these).
Yank the 16V booster/bracket as well (much fun...you will spout obsenities
you didn't even realize YOU knew).
If you want a "clean" instal I'd recommend using the either a 16V pedal
assy (I don't like this one because of the clutch pedal helper spring) or
an 84 and up pedal assy (has the brake light switch but standard clutch pedal).

Be aware that running a "complete" 16v setup from nose to tail will give
you slightly rear biased braking (rear lockup) in a Mk1 Scirocco.
I have had this happen on all three Mk1's I've installed these on.
Before people cry "I didn't notice any problems", I am talking about
threshold braking at higher speeds or trail braking through corners.
I figure this might be due to the fact that the 16V is a heavier car and
might not behave the same way, haven't ever driven a Mk2 16V at the
limit....don't know.
This spring/summer I am going to experiment with different VW proportioning
valves and might even instal a Tilton adjustable to balance Cosmos' braking
for the track.

Ummmm... call me if you want some more info, more specifics or a hand
installing everything.
I have done this swap 3 times so far and can almost do it in my sleep now LOL.

GL,

Randy B
81 Scirocco  S - "Cosmos"
03 Subaru WRX wagon