Tranny Maintenance

>Well,  upon examining the drained fluid some more I noticed that there was
>a silvery sheen to the fluid......I then took off the check level/filler
>bolt and to my horror there was visible tactile shavings in the
>tranny.....I took out what I could and filled her up with the new gear
>oil......I then went for a decent drive....one in which I stayed in 5th for
>a while........no pop outs or anything....everything seems to be ok...the
>shifts are ok so far, is it just a matter of time now before it pooches?
>or could I be ok for now?  I am hoping it will hold out for me!!  What can
>I expect to happen people?
>Chad :o) Trying to keep the 16V Alive!

As long as there are no leaks in the bellhousing and the internals weren't
mangled too badly, you should be OK.  Just try to be very aware of how it
shifts, and I would recommend, at least for a while, keeping a bottle of
gear oil and the 17mm allen in the car just in case.

**Drew Teague**
Harrisburg, PA

'84 8v Rocco --  "Bruise"
'85 BMW 318i