Tranny Maintenance

Well,  upon examining the drained fluid some more I noticed that there was a silvery sheen to the fluid......I then took off the check level/filler bolt and to my horror there was visible tactile shavings in the tranny.....I took out what I could and filled her up with the new gear oil......I then went for a decent drive....one in which I stayed in 5th for a while........no pop outs or anything....everything seems to be ok...the shifts are ok so far, is it just a matter of time now before it pooches?  or could I be ok for now?  I am hoping it will hold out for me!!  What can I expect to happen people?
Chad :o) Trying to keep the 16V Alive!