Cold-start ?'s and possibility of reconditioning window seals(sorta long)

HI everyone - hope you had a good weekend!

Here's how my day went yesterday - lied in a muddy puddle at junkyard removing a fuel pump and accumulator, cut my hand open removing rear hatch seal from a mk1 at another yard, shocked myself hanging X-mas lights, lied on a cold sidewalk installing said fuel pump on cabby.   Fun day.  :)

Anywho - I have two ?'s:

1) Is there any solution/cream/solvent that can be used to "recondition" window seals if they're not too far gone?  I seem to remember my old mechanic saying that soaking them in gas helps a little. Any fact to this? Anything else that may re-impregnate some emollients?

2) Ever since I installed my 2L16v (CIS-E) into my cabby, it's been VERY hard starting up cold. It got so that the main fuel pump started weasing. I pulled the main and transfer pumps and accumulator because I'm selling the car soon and don't want to invest too much. I know I also need to test the Cold-start valve. Can I just stick a test lamp on the CSV to see if it's working during the cold start, or do I need a multimeter?

FWIW - the symptoms really make it feel like it's a fuel pressure dissipation problem. How long SHOULD it take for the fuel pumps to re-pressurize the system and start provided the CSV is working?

thanks, JT