Cold-start ?'s and possibility of reconditioning window seals(sorta long)

Quoting Jeff Toomasson <jtoomasson@yahoo.com>:

--snippage--

> 1) Is there any solution/cream/solvent that can be used to "recondition"
> window seals if they're not too far gone?  I seem to remember my old mechanic
> saying that soaking them in gas helps a little. Any fact to this? Anything
> else that may re-impregnate some emollients?

  I have had excellent luck with Meguiars rubber and vinyl cleaner and
protectant...  I think its' number is 40?  I can't remember...  I dunno if it
is available where you are, but either way, that stuff will do wonders...  I
have been told that it is a watered-down version of what they use in the
aerospace industry?  I don't know if that is true...  I do know that putting
rubber seals in gas will bring out what emoilients are left beneath the
surface to the surface, but it will not restore them...  That, and depending
on the actual make-up of the particular rubber (ie, what additives are in it
for its' specific job), it will make it too flexible, and loose it's shape...
Back to my suggestion...  I have used the Meguiars to 'restore' rubber seals
before with pretty good results...  I recommend spraying it on, and letting it
sit for 30 mins to an hour while it is "soaking in"...  Wipe of excess, do it
again until less and less wipes off...

On the 2L 16V, I have one, but I have yet to install it, so I am no help
there..

HTH some...

David

--