sealing windshield

the stuff yer talking about is the clear windshield sealer they sell at
crappy tire next to all the permatex gasket stuff...its made by Permatex,
but regular GE silicone wfrom the paint and sleant section works just as
well.
To add to what the other listers have said, after you clean and dry out
the area under the seal, tape completely around the windshield seal with
masking tape so that the tape is starts right where the seal ends.  This
allows you to make a mess and then just peel it up (rather than smearing
any silicone on the paint and having to fumble with wiping it up..used
this on my 75 Rabbit, made for a nice clean fix...of course it helps if
the paint is decent and not rattle can quality, otherwise you'll have a
nice stripe of paintless body around the windshield (using good quality
masking tape also helps eliminate this)

sandor