help me pass aircare!yay I passed.-Danger-

I'm happy to hear you passed.
I just went through that on the Atlanta emissions check for my 250- 300,000
mile 86 8V.
Hydrocarbons got me the first time. Tester said it was probably EGR valve.
Not believing in removing anything that ain't broke, I traced every
emission hose and discovered the rubber T out of the valve cover had cooked
and disintegrated. That was a $4 part from the VW dealer (at least until
they are NLA)
Maybe all applicable 8 valve drivers should BUY IT NOW and up the dealer's
demand. (That should make up for the other 3 way rubber piece that fits the
water pump and cost me $75.00)
My first Bosck K Jetronic car ws a 74 Porsche 911S and I invested in a CO
meter as soon as it went out of warranty.
CO meters were cheap in the early 70s and should be even cheaper now.
If you have an early K Jetronic without the sensor and want to do your own
maintenance:  buy an exhaust analyzer/CO meter.
Research the specs and set it right.
Don't make adjustments without it unless you want the grief of engine
damage that comes from running too lean.