If you have a Rabbit AND a Mk1 Scirocco...

I measured, and in fact, the towers (and below) appear very similar, and the
difference is in the height of the metal above that to the fender as you
suggested. There is more metal in the rabbit, since it has deeper fenders.
Conveniently I have a nice MkI and a Rabbit with an empty bay to do
measurements with (for those of you know me well, you know why this is
problematic, grrrr, something to do with dead Passats and departed children)
Anyway, I've sent Mark a bunch of pictures of both cars, and if anyone else
wants the same, I'll fire 'em off to you. Gotta love digital.
Cathy