  From: robby lahey
  To: .Org Scirocco
  Sent: Saturday, August 16, 2003 5:31 AM
  Subject: Headlight Switch - Burnout

  List,
  I don't drive the 86 16V much at night,
  but lately I have burnt-up two headlight switches within the last two weeks.
  The dimmer resistor (round thumbwheel which is part of the swtch assembly)
  which control the dash lights becomes a glowing orange color and smoke pours
  out of the dash at this point. Then the dash lights blink out (headlights stay on).

  It appears to be somewhat intermitent since it works at times and other
  times it's catastrophic. Is this a short in the wiring? Obviously, that part of the switch
  circuit is getting too much power.

  Incorrect fuse?

  Is this another good reason to relay the switch / headlights?

  It's not a major issue since I don't do a lot of night driving with the Roc, however
  a small fire in the dash is a problem. In addition, it would be nice to know just how
  fast I'm traveling when I do drive at night.

  Any all advice / experiences appreciated!
  Rob / Cincinnati