From: "robby lahey" <rhlahey@msn.com>
To: ".Org Scirocco" <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 16, 2003 7:31 AM
Subject: Headlight Switch - Burnout

List,
I don't drive the 86 16V much at night,
but lately I have burnt-up two headlight switches within the last two weeks.
The dimmer resistor (round thumbwheel which is part of the swtch assembly)
which control the dash lights becomes a glowing orange color and smoke pours
out of the dash at this point. Then the dash lights blink out (headlights
stay on).

It appears to be somewhat intermitent since it works at times and other
times it's catastrophic. Is this a short in the wiring? Obviously, that part
of the switch
circuit is getting too much power.

Incorrect fuse?

Is this another good reason to relay the switch / headlights?

It's not a major issue since I don't do a lot of night driving with the Roc,
however
a small fire in the dash is a problem. In addition, it would be nice to know
just how
fast I'm traveling when I do drive at night.

Any all advice / experiences appreciated!
Rob / Cincinnati