16V Conversion Questions

--- Jason Rinne <rinne_jason@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> Was thinkin since I'm pullin the trusty 1.7L out of the
> Rocco soon because
> of a slipping clutch and a couple broken exhaust manifold
> bolts that I might
> convert to a 1.8L 16V. I've got a solid 8V motor with a
> descent clutch and
> was goin to swap out to the later full throttle
> enrichment injection anyway,
> so I thought, what the heck, maybe I'll go 16V.

It's not that simple.

> What's involved? Is it as straight forward as swappin the
> head

No, you can't swap the head onto a JH.  Simply anyway.

 and
> installing all the intake, injection, knock sensor, and
> various other bits?

Don't forget the exhaust, the 8v manifold doesn't bolt to
the 16v head.

> OR, is it more involved than that?

Let's put it this way.  You'd be money ahead with a lot
less hassle by just buying a 16v.

Now, if you've got a good 1.8 8v to swap in, then go for
it.  That is a pretty simple swap, and very tunable.

=====
Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'81 S, '85, '86 & '88 Sciroccos, 90 Passat Wagon, '56 Cessna 172
For Sale: '80 Scirocco S, '81 Scirocco, '82 Scirocco.
"I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong."