I need a passenger window ASAP in Seattle

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, scirocco-al wrote:

> And be thankful you didn't get the screwdriver under the door handle.  I
> much rather repair glass than do bodywork.
>
> Alan

Very true.. well, technically I already have that on the driver's side but
it's under the armor door plates.

Unfortunately upon further inspection the damage wasn't completely
confined to broken glass:

- the lock cylinder in the passenger door handle got the hammer and
  screwdriver treatment. Hopefully I can still salvage the tumblers from
  it and swap them in to another handle so I don't have to re-key
  everything.

- the gasket that runs the length of the frontmost window rail had a nice
  cut in it

- they chipped the black paint on the beam that runs between the vent
  window and the main window.

I wound up getting new glass from Absolute Gerkoffs .. err Absolute
German. First they tried to double the price once I got there.. and
then they scratched the hell out of the window because the guy didn't
know how to pull it properly. Instead of removing the gaskets he just bent
the window frame away from the car with his feet while sitting on the
roof, then tried to force the glass out.

I got the new glass put in and touched up the paint chip. I just flipped
the cut up gasket end-for-end and made an oval screw hole in it to make
it fit. It's funny.. with a little soap and water the unexposed end of
the gasket looked brand new.

Anyhoo.. since I'm not one to work on my car without improving it in some
way besides just repairing it, I also made some little shim-washer type
things that fit inside the interior door handles and will (hopefully)
keep them from slipping downwards like they always do over time because
the holes in the plastic are worn to ovals.

My car is still outside tonight, I'm hoping the bastards don't come back..

But if they do and I catch them, things are gonna get interesting. (How
much broken glass can you swallow without dying? Hmm..)

Thanks to everyone who offered their help!

-Toby