De : scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org]De la part de Mike Richardson
Envoy? : lundi 4 ao?t 2003 10:58
? : Scirocco Mailing list
Objet : Newbie: Shifting problems

Hi everyone
Just joined the mailing list after a long search on the net for all things
scirocco.  I'm Mike and I live in Portsmouth UK, and I've just purchased my
first scirocco after thinking about it for years.  It's a black 1600 GT 8v
of 1987 vintage, overall condition is very good and the engine is sound.  My
troubles started within 10 minutes of collecting the car, first I stopped
off for some petrol and filled it up to the brim, this resulted in petrol
leaking out from somewhere just forward of the back wheel.  It's not obvious
where it's coming from so I'm hoping that it's because I overfilled the
tank.
I then tried to reverse the car into a parking space and after a jolt
completely lost reverse gear, in fact I could only get the car into 3rd or
4th - nothing else.  At this point I was considering phoning the guy that
sold me the car and telling him his fortune but I remained calm and called
roadside assistance.  The AA guy immediately spotted the problem - the rear
selector rod had detached itself, he showed me what to do if it happened
again.  I continued on my way but noticed that gear selection was a bit
vague, instead of a firm H it was more like a very loose skewed H if you
know what I mean, also second is difficult to get into.  Does this sound
like just worn bushes or do you recommend that I replace the entire linkage
assembly?  I was thinking of buying a short shift kit but I'm not sure how
much of it I need.  Any recommendations? I don't want to spend a fortune.

regards

Mike
Portsmouth, UK

Scirocco 1600GT 1987