Newbie: Shifting problems

the scirocco are famous for their factory recall on leaking gas tank
(usually on the upper ridge of the gas tank. get your vin to a dealer and
see if if you get lucky and the recall on the gas tank can be had (new tank
is a nice think)

your shifting problems sounds like it needs attention in the sence of : new
bushings and rods (plastic cracks after a while on the ends) once you hav
that installed, the bentley explains how to sort out the alignment ot get a
clean shifting pattern

Welcome to the list....

MSN:ATSGTX@hotmail.com |YAHOO:ATSGTX@yahoo.com
ICQ:32918816           |AIM:Texasscirocco
=>Subject: Newbie: Shifting problems
=>
=>
=>Hi everyone
=>Just joined the mailing list after a long search on the net for
=>all things scirocco.  I'm Mike and I live in Portsmouth UK, and
=>I've just purchased my first scirocco after thinking about it for
=>years.  It's a black 1600 GT 8v of 1987 vintage, overall
=>condition is very good and the engine is sound.  My troubles
=>started within 10 minutes of collecting the car, first I stopped
=>off for some petrol and filled it up to the brim, this resulted
=>in petrol leaking out from somewhere just forward of the back
=>wheel.  It's not obvious where it's coming from so I'm hoping
=>that it's because I overfilled the tank.
=>I then tried to reverse the car into a parking space and after a
=>jolt completely lost reverse gear, in fact I could only get the
=>car into 3rd or 4th - nothing else.  At this point I was
=>considering phoning the guy that sold me the car and telling him
=>his fortune but I remained calm and called roadside assistance.
=>The AA guy immediately spotted the problem - the rear selector
=>rod had detached itself, he showed me what to do if it happened
=>again.  I continued on my way but noticed that gear selection was
=>a bit vague, instead of a firm H it was more like a very loose
=>skewed H if you know what I mean, also second is difficult to get
=>into.  Does this sound like just worn bushes or do you recommend
=>that I replace the entire linkage assembly?  I was thinking of
=>buying a short shift kit but I'm not sure how much of it I need.
=>Any recommendations? I don't want to spend a fortune.
=>
=>regards
=>
=>Mike