Shifter linkage help...

OK its tricky to explain but I will do my best. What you need to be adjusting is the main shift rod that runs from the shifter up to the firewall to the engine compartment.  This rod connects to another rod that has the ball on it and goes up to more linkage.  Where these two connect is where the adjustment needs to be made. Where there is a screw that tightens a collar around the main shaft that has splines on it.  Now you might need a helper to help move the shifter into position.
Detach this portion of the linkage, engage reverse manually underneath the car using the linkages.  Then have your buddy in the car put the shifter in the reverse gate and hold it there.  Now re-attach the collar on the main rod and tighten.  Now go back in the car and go for a drive and go through all the gears.  You might have to repeat the process a couple times until you get it right.  I had to do it like three times You can also use 5th gear as the set gear instead of reverse if you are having trouble, Its a trial and error type thing. Good luck.

Brian 86 16v
98 Jetta Vr6