What Clutch? was: Great News!

> I have great news for you today!  My best friend Keir just bought a
> Scirocco!  Finally.
> We found a gorgeous example of an '83 Rocc in a nice mars red shell.
<snip>
> He paid $800 for it, and we'll be driving it to my place for the
> motor swap tomorrow.
>
> We will be putting a high comp 1.8l 8V out of a 1992 GTI into it.  Should
> all bolt up the same, correct?  The injection has been stripped from the
> motor.  Will the header bolted to this 1.7 bolt right up?  It Should, IIRC.
> Anything I should prepare myself for?  We'll be doing a new clutch as
> well...
>
> Vince
>

> Hey Tberk
>
> Thanks for the tips yo! Would you happen to know what clutch we should use?
> The new motor still has a flywheel on it, and the current setup is all
> intact, but we'd defenately like to upgrade to a good clutch.

Just pull the flywheel and measure it to be sure. It should be a 210
mm Sachs and this is they replacement you want to get from Potter
<http://www.parts4vws.com> or Adirondack. Be sure to specify you Must
Not Get a Canadian made friction disk. No insult to our neighbors to
the North but just don't get one.

Also, clutch's usually can be had in kit form, including new PP bolts
with the locktite already on the threads, etc. Might as well get one
of these, usually under a $100.  Be sure you clean the thread holes of
motor oil prior to PP install, and you can hold the crank from turning
these bolts in and out with a double thickness of metal coat hanger
passed through a empty flywheel bolt hole and the trans to block bolt
hole on the back of the block.

Supporting the motor with the trans out you want to either keep a jack
under the block, or better yet you want to make a support out of two
2x4's cut to fit the same size as the hood. They _must_ NOT sit atop
the fenders but instead on the part of the fender seam the hood fits
into, lest you dent the fender tops.

A rope or chain to the top of the motor, (raise the block 1st to get
some slack out).

Also, get one of those Corrado type valve cover gasket w/ the new
studs, and... uh- Oh!  Replace all your fluids, brake, motor oil,
trans, etc., etc.   Just do it.

PS- there has been some recent info re: 10:1 installs w/ K/S
treatment, here are some schematics I used/created to help me do the
same:  <http://home.mindspring.com/~tberk/index.html>

hth,
TBerk