need beta testers (tie-rod relocation)

--------------080207020907020102010702

just like how adding a spacer to the bottom side of the ball joint seems
like it would work to level the control arms.

yet in reality it just changes the shape of the control arm.

L F wrote:

> Brian-
>   Your idea is brilliant in its simplicity.
> Unfortunately, bending the rod does not change the relative locations
> of the two pivot points, which is the point of this exercise.
>
> Larry
> sandiego16v

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
just like how adding a spacer to the bottom side of the ball joint seems
like it would work to level the control arms.<br>
yet in reality it just changes the shape of the control arm.<br>
L F wrote:<br>

change the  relative locations of the two pivot points, which is the point
of this  exercise.</font></div>

Hmm.<br>
I had a thought after reading a copy of Street    Rodder. that they have
solved most of our problems already... A 1920-1950    car well there just
arent any good solutions.<br>
Since we have to take    the carriers off anyway. why not have the holes
drilled out upside down    and have them tapered by the machist with bigger
diameter tie rod ends.    then we dont have to worry about alot of stuff
and <br>
the still "look" stock    for the 99.99999% of inspectors that will ever
look <br>
at em. It might be    fairly close to stock safety too. tho if it breaks
its <br>
falling out ... you    know gravity<br>
Or my Dad looks at it and says.. why not just put a bend    in the tie rod.
but that custom end (inner) makes it a    problem..<br>
&lt;insert ME based    solution&gt;<br>
Brian<br>
On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Scott F.    Williams wrote:<br>
&gt; Okay, I need three burly Sciroccos of outstanding    technical character
to<br>
&gt; volunteer for some parts beta testing. I've got    some preliminary<br>
&gt; arrangements put together with a machinist for the    parts needed to
lessen<br>
&gt; our lowered car's bumpsteer problems. -those    being the bushings needed
to<br>
&gt; relocate the tie-rods to the bottom of    the spindle arms.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Pricing is not yet set in stone, but I    figure that the it'd come
to around<br>
&gt; $20 or so. On top of that, you'll    have to remove your hub assemblies
so that<br>
&gt; the arms can be drilled out    and the bushings can be inserted. Anybody
want<br>
&gt; to step up and try this    out?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; For some pictures of exactly what I'm talking about,    check out this
webpage:<br>
&gt; &lt;<a  href="http://www.ghiagirl.com/phrankentruk/balljoints_table.htm";>http://www.ghiagirl.com/phrankentruk/balljoints_table.htm</a>&gt;<br>
&gt;    <br>
&gt; Let me be clear, though. Right now, we're only discussing the    bushings
to<br>
&gt; relocate the tie-rods. -not the spacers to move the a-arms    down.
Also, this<br>
&gt; particular guy's spacers are absolutely *not* safe.    The sharp "steps"
on his<br>
&gt; parts are crack prone. In fact, the fellow    emailed me and told me
that one<br>
&gt; of his spacers did snap!<br>
&gt;    <br>
&gt; Anyway, if anybody is interested, just let me know. However, I'd
rather put<br>
&gt; these in the hands of the motorsports type guys    first.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Thanks,<br>
&gt; --<br>
&gt; Scott F. Williams<br>
&gt;    NJ Scirocco nut<br>
&gt; '99 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS<br>
&gt; Mazda 323 GTX turbo    "assaulted" vehicle<br>
&gt; Golf GTI 16v "rollycar"<br>
&gt; ClubVAC: "Roads    found. Drivers wanted."<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;    _______________________________________________<br>
&gt; Scirocco-l mailing    list<br>
&gt; <a href="mailto:Scirocco-l@scirocco.org";>Scirocco-l@scirocco.org</a><br>
&gt;    <br>
Brian    <br>
84 0v    Next years car got parts?<br>
82 2.0L Topless bunny -- Knock Ignition and    bigger clutch. next.<br>
90 90q20v doing daily driver duty. <br>
91 VFR750F    everybody needs a 11-12 sec vehicle.<br>
Contact method. Email me for AIM,    ICQ, YahooIM, IRC,    etc.<br>