vibration/shudder at 70 - possible alternatives (other than wheel balance?)

Simple laws of physics. Your left wheels will not exactly turn at the same
speed as the right wheels, Unless you are really going absolutely straight.

As an exemple, you have your left wheels turning at 60.00 mph, and your
right wheels turning at 60.10 mph. Two frequencies will do the following:
they will add up, and they will substract.
So you have:
F1 + F2 = Fadd
F1 - F2 = Fsubstract

So in this case what you are hearing is the difference between two very
close frequencies, hence the ±1 Hz thing.

Same deal if you are driving (or stopped at a red lioght) side by side with
a loud car, try this:
Match your rpms with the other car, and when you get close, you will hear
the modulation until you are at the same rpm (frequency). Same principle
when you tune a guitar, or a piano.

Clear enough? well...

Marc
'83 Scirocco