FINALLY: It runs, it drives, I'm home (long!!!)

After 3 weeks and more than 80 hours wrenching I've finally got the beast
sitting back in the carport - and it drove there under its own power.

First things first - I'll say it again like I always do, without the help of
listers stuff like this wouldn't be possible!! I divided the text into
sections if you wanna skip anything ---> Thanks / Things dealt with /
remaining issuses / impressions

--------------

Biggest thanks go out to Jeff (and his wife who was nice enough to put up
with my car in her driveway) for offering up his driveway for me to wrench
in, and his newly acquired MKI as temp transportation while I sorted out a
motor and parts. Without him I'd be still be sitting here in desperation.
Really can't put into words what that kind of help means!

Jason, for picking up the new motor and for lending me his garage the next
weekend to pull the transmission out again (more on that further down),
putting up with me until I got the car running and rolling. Again I'd be out
serious cash if this had to have gone to a shop.

Raffi, who came by numerous times ... went out of his way and stayed late to
get the key components into place. Don't hesitate to ask for help!

Randy and Mark - thanks for lending a hand, without it the car would have
probably not made it out of Jeff's driveway on Monday. I could still use
that axle Randy ;-)

--------------

Obviously few swaps ever go 100% the first time, so we had plenty of little
issues that slowed us down:

Forgeting parts, pinning the passenger side axle under the motor when we
dropped it in, motormount getting caught when solving the axle issue, t-belt
being off a few teeth, gear linkage installed wrong so only 2nd was there.
Getting stuck with a A3 8v clutch disk and sticking it in a 2h ... sh*t
grinds!! Having to take tranny back out again - 1 hour just to pull the
tranny itself (don't ask, it was hell enough holding it up for that long
while getting it unhooked), CV being at more than 20 degrees .. bearings
fall out and the wheel is binding, undoing evertything on the pass side to
get the axle down to rebuild the cv .. only to put it backwards so it won't
swivel and not find out until I have it all installed, just to pull it all
again and do it over. Argh! Anyone tell me I can't do a swap in a weekend
---- I'll drive my newly running car to your place and smack you upside the
head. I don't wanna hear it ;-)

--------------

Apart from some adjustments there are two issues currently unresolved. One
was that the t-belt was off a couple teeth and could have possibly caused
interference, though the motor was only ideling. I still have to check the
compression to be sure I don't have more headaches.

While driving home I came across a new noise. Description: Throttle
dependant. While getting on the gas softly everything is butter. Step on the
gas a little harder and theres a tweetering sound from up front. Going down
the freeway and giving more to 3/4 throttle the car sounded more like an
aircooled bug than a 2l 16v. It had a destinct "plattering" sound common to
the aircooled motors.

Where could that be from? It's not as noticable in first gear, but all
throughout the remaining gears the sound is the same according to how you
step on the gas. Car idles smooth - now that it's been run it's showing a
little flutter in the idle once it's warm (isn't this common for most
people? dang, the one thing my 1.8 16v didn't do, the idle was rock solid)

Still running a little warm, probably some air stuck somewhere. Needle sits
with the trailing edge just past the LED with the heater selector at half
warm. We ditched the AC condensor so airflow should be better to the
radiator - collant is a good mixture of about 60/40 with Water Wetter, low
t-stats in pump and radiator, and two holes in pump t-stat to aid the
burping of the system. Anything else I can do here?

--------------

Aside from some adjustments to really get the motor running at 100% I'm very
happy with what I got in there now. A motor with 1/3 the mileage sounds and
acts quite different, and much better to say the least. The full TT system
sounds good -16v street header cat back borla - I'm hoping the resonators
will break in more so I get a bit more tone (still a little quiet for me),
or the mid one is getting replaced by straight pipe. The rebuilt tranny, now
with the proper disk is smooth as silk. The .75 5th gear is going to take
some getting used to .... I see it more like a 4 speed with a gas saver gear
at the end, since it's really no good for anything but cruising (5th that
is). Will have to wait to see what the tranny and Quaife can really do when
I get the core support stabalized.

All in all things are looking up and I'm starting to like the car again.
Many thanks to all the rest of ya who answered questions and offered help
... it's really close to being done. Key is the car is home and now longer
has to be towed around.

Time for me to take a really long shower ... my skin is the color of grease,
and believe me I already scrubbed numerous times. You might say I have a
grease tan on my arms. And I smell like tranny fluid (which I now vote as
the most putrid smell man ever invented!!) Some pics of the work, the
destruction, and the finished product will be up shortly.