rear stub axels

Yes, any of the later model 8v and 16v stub axles from a car with rear
disks will fit the MkI.

However, IF you use calipers from a Jetter or Golf, you will have to
swap sides with the calipers to get the proper positioning for the
e-brake cable and bleeder valve.

You can also use your jack handle to make a nice bend in the stock MkI
rear brake line and thread it right into the caliper.

BcH