What's the deal with the missing taillight bulbs on US roccs?

--=.zdBVl.P2GpKipE

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 16:12:00 -0700 (PDT),
"T. Reed" <treed2@u.washington.edu> wrote:
> > Yes Rhett, you are correct. although both bulb carriers have spots
> > for bulbs only the left (drivers side) is used for a correct rear
> > fog. Use this in conjunction with a three position fog light switch,
> > US fog light switches are only 2 potion.
>
> In LHD countries, the left is used. In RHD countries, the right is
> used but apparently some RHD sciroccos came with both.

The left (passenger side) tail light unit had a fog light cutout and
bulb on my RHD 86. After an accident I got a right Continental-Euro LHD
tail light unit with a cutout and put an extra fog light bulb in the
(pre-wired) socket. Now I have 2 fog lights. It is not uncommon for UK
cars to be fitted with 2 rear fog lights. I have a 3 position switch -
Off, front under bumper lights only and both front and rear lights. They
only work when the parking lights are on.

> I brought back a pair of tail lights with me from the Netherlands..
> the rear fog is on the left. The rear fog spot in euro tails has a
> special metallic reflector inside that is NOT present in us tails. It
> is also only present on the one side where the rear fog is located on
> the particular pair of tails you buy. So it is not present on the
> right side of my set.

My old UK lens definitely had a reflector for the spare fog.

--Andrew

--
http://cemetery.homeunix.org

--=.zdBVl.P2GpKipE