What's the deal with the missing taillight bulbs on USroccs?

Yes Rhett, you are correct. although both bulb carriers have spots for
bulbs only the left (drivers side) is used for a correct rear fog. Use this
in conjunction with a three position fog light switch, US fog light
switches are only 2 potion.

The Euro tail lights have this opening but are missing the corner lights...
You could modify the Euro tails to accept the corner light but then they
don't look right cuz they don't have the reflector and blocking... the
better way to go is the Dremel a hole in the left side of the US tail light
and install a bulb, I belive the reflector is already mirrorized so a hole
is all you need. You will need to add one wire to the harness that plugs
into the carrier and run that up front to the fog light switch to wire it up.

I had drilled both on my '84 until I found out that only the left was
supposed to be lit up so I just removed the bulb on the right side, cool a
spare!

-Raffi