It lives again! A Big Thank You...

--=====================_8761017==_.ALT

Hi All,
         For those of you who didn't know, I blew up my 2.0 in August of=20
last year.  It was a factory built 2.0 16V with about 8,000 miles on it,=20
and it started blowing copious amounts of smoke...  Cylinder #1 was burning=
=20
oil in a most spectacular way.  An inspection of the cylinder wall showed=20
nothing but a small 1" long scratch in the wall at the top of the piston=20
travel, which I assumed to be a sign of ring failure.  (A head swap solved=
=20
nothing, so I knew it was bottom-end).

         This weekend, Ben, Daun, and Cathy showed up to help revive my=20
long-since comatose Scirocco and we slapped in a junkyard 2.0 bottom end in=
=20
the hope that it would provide lots of fun in the meantime while I took my=
=20
time to rebuild my 2.0.  13 hours start to finish, including 3 hours of=20
food breaks and all kinds of goofing around, the swap was compete and the=20
new motor purring like a kitten.

         Removal of the #1 piston in the "blown" motor shows no evidence of=
=20
any problems.  So I'm still as clueless as before re: what happened, but at=
=20
least I have a running Rocco.

         I'd like to extend a HUGE Thank You for helping me get this swap=20
done to Daun, Cathy, and especially Ben, who somehow managed to muster up=20
the motivation to schlepp himself away from his own project just to=20
seemingly effortlessly provide the expertise and muscle without which this=
=20
never would have worked.  Thank you guys -- if it weren't for you, it'd=20
still be sitting.

Jason

----------
1987 Scirocco 2.0 16v
1994 Golf 4dr VR6
1990 E30 325iT
1997 E39 528iA

http://www.scirocco16v.org

"In the olden days, a good flame war could go on for weeks or months, with=
=20
hot invective flying around like rhetorical shrapnel. It was high art, high=
=20
entertainment. Though tempers flared hot and professional bridges were=20
sometimes irreparably burned, ultimately it was a game =97 a participatory=
=20
sport in which the audience awarded points for felicitous disparagements,=20
particularly well-worded putdowns, inspired squelches."  -- Christopher=20
Locke, "The Cluetrain Manifesto".

"So yes, the LSD works, sort of like ABS in forward without the foot=20
vibrator..." - Cathy Boyko

--=====================_8761017==_.ALT

Hi All,<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>For those
of you who didn't know, I blew up my 2.0 in August of last year.&nbsp; It
was a factory built 2.0 16V with about 8,000 miles on it, and it started
blowing copious amounts of smoke...&nbsp; Cylinder #1 was burning oil in
a most spectacular way.&nbsp; An inspection of the cylinder wall showed
nothing but a small 1&quot; long scratch in the wall at the top of the
piston travel, which I assumed to be a sign of ring failure.&nbsp; (A
head swap solved nothing, so I knew it was bottom-end).<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>This
weekend, Ben, Daun, and Cathy showed up to help revive my long-since
comatose Scirocco and we slapped in a junkyard 2.0 bottom end in the hope
that it would provide lots of fun in the meantime while I took my time to
rebuild my 2.0.&nbsp; 13 hours start to finish, including 3 hours of food
breaks and all kinds of goofing around, the swap was compete and the new
motor purring like a kitten. <br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Removal of
the #1 piston in the &quot;blown&quot; motor shows no evidence of any
problems.&nbsp; So I'm still as clueless as before re: what happened, but
at least I have a running Rocco.<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>I'd like
to extend a HUGE Thank You for helping me get this swap done to Daun,
Cathy, and especially Ben, who somehow managed to muster up the
motivation to schlepp himself away from his own project just to seemingly
effortlessly provide the expertise and muscle without which this never
would have worked.&nbsp; Thank you guys -- if it weren't for you, it'd
still be sitting.&nbsp; <br><br>
Jason<br><br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
<hr>
1987 Scirocco 2.0 16v <br>
1994 Golf 4dr VR6<br>
1990 E30 325iT<br>
1997 E39 528iA<br><br>
&quot;In the olden days, a good flame war could go on for weeks or
months, with hot invective flying around like rhetorical shrapnel. It was
high art, high entertainment. Though tempers flared hot and professional
bridges were sometimes irreparably burned, ultimately it was a game =97 a
participatory sport in which the audience awarded points for felicitous
disparagements, particularly well-worded putdowns, inspired
squelches.&quot;&nbsp; -- Christopher Locke, &quot;The Cluetrain
Manifesto&quot;.<br><br>
&quot;So yes, the LSD works, sort of like ABS in forward without the foot
vibrator...&quot; - Cathy Boyko <br>