can head bolts be "tightened" mid-use?

--0-907169697-1049272973=:91958

I've been told this is an absolute no no but when i had slight weeping at N0 1 cylinder on my new gasket i have the 4 bolts round No 1 an extra 1/4 turn. no ill effects as yet.
The reason i believe is that as the engine heats it stretchs the headbolts and if some are tighter then they stretch unevenly causing warpage

Andy

 Jeff Toomasson <jtoomasson@yahoo.com> wrote:
I was just looking at my 9a sitting in my garage and it got pretty cruddy over 1.5 years it was in my car. I have a sneaking suspicion part of that crud came from the head gasket area. I used the ABA gasket and it ran great when I took it out so I don't think I blew anything, but I was wondering if there was any way I could "adjust" the headbolts to make sure. Maybe just to make sure they're on torque or even maybe give 'em a hair tighter??  Any thoughts?

TIA, JT

Andy Holmes

91 Scirocco Scala Inj
83 Jetta 2.1

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Mail - For a better Internet experience

--0-907169697-1049272973=:91958

<P>I've been told this is an absolute no no but when i had slight weeping at N0 1 cylinder on my new gasket i have the 4 bolts round No 1 an extra 1/4 turn. no ill effects as yet.
<P>The reason i believe is that as the engine heats it stretchs the headbolts and if some are tighter then they stretch unevenly causing warpage
<P>&nbsp;
<P>Andy
<P>&nbsp;
<P>&nbsp;<B><I>Jeff Toomasson &lt;jtoomasson@yahoo.com&gt;</I></B> wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">
<P>I was just looking at my 9a sitting in my garage and it got pretty cruddy over 1.5 years it was in my car. I have a sneaking suspicion part of that crud came from the head gasket area. I used the ABA gasket and it ran great when I took it out&nbsp;so I don't think I blew anything, but I was wondering if there was any way I could "adjust" the headbolts to make sure. Maybe just to make sure they're on torque or even maybe give 'em&nbsp;a hair tighter??&nbsp; Any thoughts?</P>
<P>TIA, JT</P>
<P><BR>
<HR SIZE=1>
--0-907169697-1049272973=:91958--