clutch pedal sticking

My clutch pedal has begun to stick down rather frequently as of late.  I'm not sure why it's getting stuck.

I do know the the rubber guide washer where the clutch cable attaches at the transmission is broken.  Could this be the reason it's sticking.  The cable is also beginning to fray a little where it enters the firewall on the inside.

Will a new cable, rubber washer and guide, and adjustment fix my problem?  If not what else should i look for?

TIA

Doug C.
'88 16v
Asheville, NC