headlight wiring

In trying to fix the problem I posted about before I took  a look at the
wiring in the dash. It was an easy enough fix for the headlights... or so I
thought. The switch had been shaken loose and was no longer connected to the
wiring. so I plug it back in, replace the fuse, and check the rest of the
dash for shorts (none found). Everything works fine now except the normal
headlight setting. the brights come on fine but when the brights are of all
of the headlights turn off. All of the other lights work fine. Any ideas on
what might be wrong here?
TIA,
Nate nlowe@cox.net
"When the thief ripped my stereo out of the dash, there was some
damage done to the wiring. The headlights (or parking/driving lights) won't
come on with the switch on the dash, but the brights (and the regulars) will
come on when I pull back the handle. The parking/driving lights do not come
one when I do this. None of the instrument cluster lights come on at any
time. Also, the right turn signal works normally when I am not depressing
the brake, but when I am using the brake the rate doubles (like if the bulb
is out). All of this worked fine before the break-in and all of it broke the
first time I drove the car after the break-in. The "#9" fuse was blown,
which is listed in the Bentley at the horn and reverse lights. When I
replaced this fuse and turned on the headlights, it blew again. I'm very
confused by this so if anyone has any suggestions for finding what's going
wrong let me know. I'm going to scour through the dash for shorts this
weekend but some direction would be nice."