The oil pan gasket thing

Using large amounts of RTV silicone is not a good idea.  That stuff can
wreak havoc on an engine.  It can easily clog an oil passage to a
bearing, or foul up oil or water pumps.  You'd be surprised what a
little ball of silicone can do.  Nasty stuff that...

Use only small amounts (eg. for frost (freeze) plugs - just "scrape" a
very small amount from your fingers around the block opening.  When the
frost plug is driven in, the RTV should only end up between the outside
radius of the plug and the block.)

Basically, anywhere you use it, it should be used sparingly - trying to
make sure none of it gets squeezed out from the surfaces you're
joining.

Mark.