Hello

--0-35712292-1033101299=:90561

Lots of things could cause that, first thing I would do is give it a tune-up and work from there.  A good tune-up would consist of replacing the fuel and air filters, distributor cap and rotor, spark plugs, etc...
Make sure all vacuum connections are tight.  Also make sure all intake the intake boots are on securely and tightly, also they sometimes have holes in them hidden inside the ribbing.  Remove the timing belt cover, and turn the cam with a 19mm wrench until the mark on the BACK(towards the engine) of the sprocket is aligned with the top of the rear timing cover.  Now stick a flashlight down the timing hole in the trans and see if the timing mark is on.  If not, adjust.  As for the ignition timing, a timing light would be the best approach but if you don't have one, align the mark on the intermediate shaft sprocket with the small(rather hard to see) notch in the crank pulley.  Then go and remove your distributor cap, and make sure the rotor is pointed at the mark on the upper rim of the distributor(again, hard to see).  If it is not aligned then loosen the distributor adjusting bolt and adjust the distributor so that the rotor is pointed to the line.  Make sure your plug wires have good connections, as well as the coil wiring.  Also make sure your plugs are gapped correctly.  If it is still running rough bleed the fuel system.
That's all I can think of for now, and I'm pretty sure at least one of those procedures is needed on your car,  you just don't know which one so you have to do 'em all!  First thing I'd check though is that your intake boots are tight, whenever my Scirocco idles rough or stalls under any acceleration it's always been that I forgot to tighten an intake boot securely.  My car ('84 8v) also used to hesitate sometimes, new plugs solved that.  I hope this helps, email with any more questions or if you have updated info-
Rob
 phil miron
wrote:Hello everybody,        It's been a while since I've been on the list, I have a problem with my rocco but first a little about me.  My name is Phil Miron, I live in Winnipeg, Canada - I am  years old and have an '84 Scirocco.    I have recently tried to get it back on the road, and fixed a few probs but now it runs really bad, when cold and warm.  It idles rough and when I give it gas it hesitates, then stalls.  I have been going through the Bently racking my brain with tests, and still no luck, does anyone know where I could start - a systematic approach? Thanks,Phil

--0-35712292-1033101299=:90561

<P>Lots of things could cause that, first thing I would do is give it a tune-up and work from there.&nbsp; A good tune-up would consist of replacing the fuel and air filters, distributor cap and rotor, spark plugs, etc...
<P>Make sure all vacuum connections are tight.&nbsp; Also make sure all intake the intake boots are on securely and tightly, also they sometimes have holes in them hidden inside the ribbing.&nbsp; Remove the timing belt cover, and turn the cam with a 19mm wrench until the mark on the BACK(towards the engine) of the sprocket is aligned with the top of the rear timing cover.&nbsp; Now stick a flashlight down the timing hole in the trans and see if the timing mark is on.&nbsp; If not, adjust.&nbsp; As for the ignition timing, a timing light would be the best approach but if you don't have one, align the mark on the intermediate shaft sprocket with the small(rather hard to see) notch in the crank pulley.&nbsp; Then go and remove your distributor cap, and make sure the rotor is pointed at the mark on the upper rim of the distributor(again, hard to see).&nbsp; If it is not aligned then loosen the distributor adjusting bolt and adjust the distributor so that the rotor is pointed to the line.&nbsp; Make sure your plug wires have good connections, as well as the coil wiring.&nbsp; Also make sure your plugs are gapped correctly.&nbsp; If it is still running rough bleed the fuel system.&nbsp;
<P>That's all I can think of for now, and I'm pretty sure at least one of those procedures is needed on your car,&nbsp; you just don't know which one so you have to do 'em all!&nbsp; First thing I'd check though is that your intake boots are tight, whenever my Scirocco idles rough or stalls under any acceleration it's always been that I forgot to tighten an intake boot securely.&nbsp; My car ('84 8v) also used to hesitate sometimes, new plugs solved that.&nbsp; I hope this helps, email with any more questions or if you have updated info-
<P>Rob
<P>&nbsp;<B><I>phil miron <PMIRON@SHAW.CA></I></B>wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">
<STYLE></STYLE>

<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hello everybody,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; It's been a while since I've been on the list, I have a problem with my rocco but first a little about me.&nbsp; My name is Phil Miron, I live in Winnipeg, Canada - I am&nbsp; years old and have an '84 Scirocco.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I have recently tried to get it back on the road, and fixed a few probs but now it runs really bad, when cold and warm.&nbsp; It idles rough and when I give it gas it hesitates, then stalls.&nbsp; I have been going through the Bently racking my brain with tests, and still no luck, does anyone know where I could start - a systematic approach?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Thanks,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Phil</FONT></DIV>
--0-35712292-1033101299=:90561--