tire choices

> Wes asked about whether there are different
> designations to determine which
> Kumho compound he has. Yes, there is a 'serial
> number' of sorts on the
> sidewall someplace. There are 2 different compounds
> of Ecsta V700s, one with
> a 6 and one with an 8. One of those is the 'good'
> version but hey, I run
> Hoosier roadrace tires so don't ask me for that sort
> of triviata ;) Where's
> VanAmburgh? Yo Mike...

Grrr...You're right, but I can't remember the numbers!

Kumho stopped shipment for quite a long time while
they swapped compounds. During that time, supplies
from TireRack and others pretty much dried up. The new
compounds started shipping somewhere right around the
Petersburg ProSolo (May 25-26), and Brian Priebe
(Kumho contract driver) confirmed that if you bought
your tires any time around May-ish or later, you can
be pretty sure its the new compound.

BTW, advice to anybody contemplating the ECSTA V700:
GET THEM SHAVED!!! At least to 4/32, if not 3/32.
They're pretty much worthless otherwise. They will
squirm, slide, overheat, wear funny, and lose large
chunks of rubber. Ask me how I know! I've had 3 sets
now, two shaved and one without. Anyone remember the
BFG R1 "Groove of Doom?" I don't actually :) but
everybody who looked at my un-shaved tires said it's
the same thing. It cords the center tread blocks first
regardless of tire pressure. Shaving won't cure the
groove, but it helps...

Neal

=====
~Neal