starter bushing hell

> If your starter was stuck both ON and in the engaged position, it can only
> be because the solenoid (which controls both functions to the starter) was
> on.

Yes, but if you take the solenoid apart, you'll see that it is a big
electromagnet that pulls a "plunger" in a bore and there are electrical
contacts in the middle of both as well as a spring between them. I had
mine apart and cleaned it thoroughly to the point where it was clearly not
sticking (on the bench at least). The plunger and the bore both had a
smooth mirror-like finish. I didn't use any thick sticky grease on
re-assembly.

So the solenoid is not sticking on its own... but I think it is sticking
with the help of the fork that it hooks in to on the starter. Something
about the starter is strong enough to hold that fork out and counteract
the spring inside the solenoid.. but only if the conditions are just
right.

And by holding the solenoid in the "on" position, it keeps feeding itself
more juice so it keeps running forever and ever.

If the solenoid was sticking by itself, shutting off the main power cable
that it switches (the 4 gauge to the solenoid) would stop the starter but
the starter would run again when the power cable was reconnected. It does
not.

Furthermore, tapping the solenoid with a hammer or blunt object does
nothing when it is "stuck".

I noticed on the new (rebuilt) starter it takes a lot more strength to
"pull" the solenoid (bring the gear out to "engage the flywheel") by hand
than on the old starter. Maybe the spring in the old solenoid has just
lost its strength. I don't know.

Either way, it doesn't matter because I'm replacing the starter and the
solenoid as a unit. I just need to find a way to get that damn starter
bushing in without dropping the tranny or destroying the bushing (again).

Thanks..

-Toby