Still no alternator function- Getting depressed

Check for continuity between the blue exciter wire and ground. If there is
continuity, that's your problem. Figure out where the wire is grounding
and make sure it never happens again.

When that wire gets grounded you burn out the diodes in the alternator and
its time for an expensive repair.

I know this because while re-installing the alternator once, I put that
little clamp over the +12v and exciter wire and tightened the nut on it
down. Somehow the blue wire got invisibly pinched by the clamp and it cut
through the insulation and grounded the wire. Cost me a "pretty penny" at
an alternator shop to get new diodes pressed in to the case.

I bought a new transpo adjustable regulator for $17 too because I didn't
want to risk using the old one and blowing the diodes again from some
freak accident.

I had the same symptoms as you did until I finally found the problem.

HTH,

-Toby