Compression, pinging, and problems...

Ok,... good info and whatnot.  Here is what to look for first.  Cam-to-Cam
timing...... then recheck and recheck the mechanical
timing...(cams-to-crank...then have a peek in the bellhousing and see what
is up there.   If it is running then I would say you COULD be a tooth or two
out... three is probable out of the question...
    Here is what I can tell you is a FACT on my car.  Stock/rebuilt block
with a heavily massaged 1.8 head,,... shaved a bunch this last time and
after total calculations... roughly 11.3 :1 compression.  I had a similar
problem with mine .... I ran two tanks of 112 octane through it and the
problem went away for both tanks.... so I installed my AST cams and went
with regular gas....93 octane..  Problem still there but I didn't think it
was quite as bad as before...  Installed TT's adjustable cam sprocket and
the problem is gone.   Now,... if I run 87-89 octane and don't retard the
timing... I still get a little "ping".  (hot sunny days)  I'm in South
Carolina so heat is a pretty big factor in my car as well as yours I would
think.  Now a couple of months ago I installed a remote oil cooler (got rid
of the factory crap) and installed dual electric fans like Patrick installed
and I have noticed a big change.  I actually ended up setting my car a
little rich and setting the idle so that she idles about 900rpms.  So which
would be the best bet for you?  Personally,... based on money... buy an
adjustable cam sprocket and play with that dizzy a little more.  I can't see
why you couldn't dial it in better.  FWIW,.... Autotechs new cam sprockets
are my choice...I wished I had bought theirs over the TT.
Best of luck,
Chris
'88 16v Rocco
'78 8v Rocco