Compression, pinging, and problems...

   This is a request for help!

My engine is a 16v. Balanced PL block that has been bored and=
 stroked to equal 2008cc. Pistons are forged JE units, crank is a=
 stock 2L unit. I'm running my stock 1.8L head, and stock 16v=
 CIS-E fuel system/ignition. According to an online compression=
 calulator I'm running roughly 11:1 compression. I use strictly=
 premium fuel (93 octane here in Tallahassee) and Tally is=
 basically at sea level.

Currently my car is set to run VERY, VERY rich (puffing black=
 smoke when I get on it) and the ignition timing is back as far=
 as it will go without it totally dieing off the line. This is=
 the only way I can even come CLOSE to stopping the pinging, and=
 even still it pings some on really hot days.

This sucks, for lack of a better term. Please help me find a way=
 to enjoy my very wicked engine, but keep it in one piece. There=
 is nowhere I know of to buy race fuel, and I drive the car daily=
 and that wouldn't always be convenient. Would cams help, or no?=
 What can I do here other than lower the compression with a=
 thicker head gasket (I'm running a stock 9A headgasket, btw). I=
 am on a budget here, so please keep uit reasonable. 11:1 isn't=
 THAT insane, is it?

My car BARELY holds an idle, it's so rich. It does die at idle on=
 occasion, actually. But if I lean it out even a smidge, it pings=
 more.

I'm really in need of help here. Thanks in advance to those who=
 can help.

Joshua Hignight.