Are A2 G/J & 16v Rocco rear calipers the same?

No, A1 and A2 calipers are different.  However, you can use A2 or A3 rear
calipers on your 16v.  They will get mounted upside down and on the
opposite side of the car.  The difference really isn't apparent until you
go to bleed the brakes.  If you've mounted an A2 or A3 caliper, you will
discover that the bleeder screw is now on the bottom.   The solution to
this event is to bleed the brakes before you mount the caliper.  Its really
easy if you have a pressure or a vacuum bleeder.  Both the A2 and the A3
calipers are vastly superior to the A1 calipers (cheaper, too).  I put some
A3 calipers on my 87 a couple months ago.  Great upgrade.

John
Long Beach