From: "Allyn" <amalventano1@comcast.net>
To: "jp43044" <jp43044@netzero.net>; <Scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2002 3:42 PM
Subject: Re: Just a notion

    actually, the starvation thing still happens even with the xfer pump.
its
the fact that xfer pump equipped cars also have a reservoir between the 2
pumps.
the reservoir is the key, as i now have mine bypassed in the rieger and i
cant
make hard rights under 1/4 tank. this is with a clean tank and 2 good pumps.
nothing can be done when you are simply sucking air.
    as for the fuel cell thing, as long as the main pump as about level
(gravity
feed) with the fuel cell, you will be fine. the transfer pump doesnt really
do
anything to raise the fuel pressure at the suction of the main pump
(contrary to
pupular belief). there is a return line at the top of the reservoir that
goes
back to the tank. its meant for air to recirc back to the tank instead of
getting sucked through the main pump. it also means that any extra fluid
pumped
by the xfer pump simply returns to the tank via the reservoir, as opposed to
building up pressure at the main pump suction.
    so in the end, as long as you can ensure a constant fuel flow from the
cell,
no reservoir/xfer pump is needed.
Al (with the reservoir-less (temp) rieger).