OT: Question for the Americans

Pardon me for not being very astute politically, but what's the deal with=
 the
president and Iraq? I'm not sure of the urgency, I realize there is a lot=
 of
tension for a number of reasons, and has been for some time, but it seems=
 the
international community isn't too into this project of his. (Canada was r=
ather
cool on it) Just wondering why the need right now, is it the polls? I wou=
ld
certainly hope it's more than that.

Having said that, I did want to extend my sympathies to those having year=
 old
wounds reopened by the press. =

Cathy, no flames please, just trying to grasp the reasoning behind this
current "campaign".