[Re: Which oil temp. sender and where?]

Rear temp sender on filter (16V) goes to oil temp gage, IIRC.
Easy enough to verify; disconnect and see what doesn't work.....

Larry
sanddiego16V

> 1988 16v - from the factory, which location is used for the sender for the
> center console oil temperature gauge - the oil filter mount (is there 2
> temp. senders here? - if so which?), or the back of the block?
> Also, looking at Rocky Mountains online catalog, there are 3 different
> sending units, ranging in price from 13 to 39.  What's the difference and
> which do I need?  I can't find a part number for it anywhere.  Ryan H.
> Thanks.

I'm looking at one right now I got off a late model Cab & it has VDO
markings but no part #. (wah?)

It was on the cylinder head on an 8v, others have used them on the oil
filter mount too.

In your case it will depend on which single sender the dual is
replacing, range wise.

Folks, anymore info?

hth,
TBerk

Well my gosh, I looked back and forgot just how many temp switch/sensors etc
I've bought recently. Anyway, I believe the oil temp sender that sends info
tho the guage (in my case the MFA, which I guess is unusual for a 16V?) has
part # 049 919 563 A  (tempsender), or at least that looks like the right
date/bill. $34.56 CDN plus tax, yikes.
It is flat with a sort of pipe thread on it and leaks oil like a son of a
pup
down the backside of the engine from it's hole high atop the head, on the
driver's side.

While you are there, check that the wire has good solid connections on both
ends, it works on resistance, so bad wiring will give you a false high
reading, or wild fluctuations.

As for that oil leak and the temp readings, don't ask how I know. I may have
made it all up...

Cathy