[Re: Which oil temp. sender and where?]

T Berk <tberk@mindspring.com> wrote:
Ryan Hockenbury wrote:
> =

> 1988 16v - from the factory, which location is used for the sender for =
the
> center console oil temperature gauge - the oil filter mount (is there 2=

> temp. senders here? - if so which?), or the back of the block?
> Also, looking at Rocky Mountains online catalog, there are 3 different
> sending units, ranging in price from 13 to 39.  What's the difference a=
nd
> which do I need?  I can't find a part number for it anywhere.  Ryan H.
> Thanks.
> =

I'm looking at one right now I got off a late model Cab & it has VDO
markings but no part #. (wah?)

It was on the cylinder head on an 8v, others have used them on the oil
filter mount too. =

In your case it will depend on which single sender the dual is
replacing, range wise. =

Folks, anymore info?

hth,
TBerk

Well my gosh, I looked back and forgot just how many temp switch/sensors =
etc
I've bought recently. Anyway, I believe the oil temp sender that sends in=
fo
tho the guage (in my case the MFA, which I guess is unusual for a 16V?) h=
as
part # 049 919 563 A  (tempsender), or at least that looks like the right=

date/bill. $34.56 CDN plus tax, yikes. =

It is flat with a sort of pipe thread on it and leaks oil like a son of a=
 pup
down the backside of the engine from it's hole high atop the head, on the=

driver's side. =

While you are there, check that the wire has good solid connections on bo=
th
ends, it works on resistance, so bad wiring will give you a false high
reading, or wild fluctuations.

As for that oil leak and the temp readings, don't ask how I know. I may h=
ave
made it all up...

Cathy