audi 5k TB project gone bad!?

--0-873736047-1031447752=:37672

Ok, I figured an Audi 5k TB swap would be easy.  With my luck, not so.  All was ready, I had the audi 5k TB, the TB on my '83 8v, and a spare '84 8v TB which I planned to swap the linkage from, that way it would just be a drop in(I had also already ported out the manifold to accept the 5k TB a few months ago, while I was polishing it).  Anyway, is there more than one kind of 5k TB!?  This one WAS off an audi 5000, not sure of the year.  However the linkages will NOT swap.  The long thing that holds the throttle plate(the smaller one), ya know the thing that pretty much the whole linkage attaches to, is too short on top to accept the earlier linkage.  So I figured I'd dive deep and remove the whole thing, and put in the 8v(longer) one.  That was pretty straightforward.  Now that's done, but it seems that it's still slightly too short, and also on my 8v TBs there is a dowel that sticks out of the top of the TB(manifold side), that a spring holds on to.  There is no such thing on the Audi TB!! What the heck!!  All the tech notes on doing the Audi 5k conversion pretty much say nothing more than "swap the linkages".  What is going on?  Sorry for the venting, but please help-

Rob