Buying 88 16v

Rev-
  Julie gives good advice, but don't worry overmuch if the timing belt
and/or motor mounts are bad, they are fairly easy to replace (and cheap).
 Check the usual car stuff.
Structural rust or crash damage are about the only show-stoppers.
  Make sure it runs....

Gen 8:1

Larry  old crock and his old 'roc ('87 16V)