Stand-alone engine management?

--0-802806696-1035928314=:10794

Just to add fuel to the fire, Uve Ross of Vag-Com fame is working on a progrmmable chip system for VW's that will let you program a stock Motronic system via PC.  Considering an entire motronic setup might cost as little as $200, and would more easily bolt on to many of our cars, the ability to program that could be HUGE!  If it keeps the adaptability built into the stock chips it could be really sweet.
You would be starting out with the stock Motronic map, I'd imagine, so most of the work would already be done, just tune to suit your engine's particular habits and you are off and running.  Considering that the hot wire sensor motronics are so dang good (except newest one's whose MAF's don't last over 30,000 miles) to start with, that would definately be my choice.  Idle control, knock response and all that is stae of the art.  Want even more?  Use a larger MAF if you like.  Interesting possibilities.
I talked to Uve about this a couple of months ago and he said the system was working on some ECU's, but they wanted to make sure it was stable and worked on more systems before releasing it, so this might be something that would happen in a year or so.
I can't see how Ross' setup could cost more than $1000, so it would almost certainly be the cheapest programmable option.  It would be sweet if you could hook up a late model 2.0l system to one of our cars and tune it.
 Brett Van Sprewenburg <brett@netacc.net> wrote: >That's exactly what I'm looking for... Anyone here have experience
>with a Eurospeed SEM system?

I checked out their site, and I'm pretty sure it's basically a DTA
system (UK SEM company) with
the harness, leads, and fuel rail / plugs necessary to run a 16v...if
that's what you're talking
about.

(Broken record): There's a link to the DTA engine management site on
scirocco.org. :-)

==Brett

--
\/ `87 Scirocco 2.0t project | "Hot VW's, take two home. They're small"
\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v, '84 Scirocco ITB racer project | - brett@netacc.net